I am Jing Gu, a Ph.D student at the University of California, Santa Cruz working with Prof. Xin (Eric) Wang. Previously I was a master student at the University of California, Davis working with Prof. Zhou Yu. I was in Google Research as an intern working on Embodied AI in 2022 summer. This summer, I am a research intern at Adobe.
[2023.11] I received a Scholar Award from NeurIPS 2023. Thanks for the NeurIPS for the travel support!
[2023.10] Our workshop AVLR (Advances in Language and Vision Research) 2024 is accepted to be held at ACL 2024!
[2023.10] Our paper R2H has been accepted by EMNLP 2023!
[2023.09] PHOTOSWAP is accepted to NeurIPS 2023!
[2023.06] Our SlugJARVIS team wins the Third Place ($50,000) in the inaugural Alexa Prize SimBot Challenge! [Media Coverage]
[2022.11] One paper accepted to AACL Finding!
[2022.10] Our Athena team received an Amazon Alexa Prize Award to work on Alexa Prize SocialBot Grand Challenge 5.
[2022.08] Our paper JARVIS: A Neuro-Symbolic Commonsense Reasoning Framework for Conversational Embodied Agents is on arXiv!
[2022.05] Our SlugJARVIS team won the Alexa Prize SimBot Public Benchmark Challenge! [Media Coverage]
[2022.04] Invited Talk in Chinese about Vision-and-Language Navigation in AI Drive! [Video in Chinese]
[2022.03] One paper about Vision-and-Language Navigation Survey accepted to ACL 2022!
[2022.03] Our SlugJARVIS team received an Amazon Alexa Prize Award to work on Alexa Prize SimBot Challenge. [link]
[2021.09] Started Ph.D. journey at UCSC!
[2021.05] One short paper accepted to ACL 2021!
[2021.04] One paper accepted to EACL 2021!
[2020.11] One paper accepted to AAAI 2021!
[2020.09] One paper accepted to EMNLP Finding!
[2020.10] One paper accepted to EMNLP WNUT workshop!
My research interests are mainly Computer Vision, Natural Langauge Processing, and Embodied AI.
Publication & Manuscript
PHOTOSWAP: Personalized Subject Swapping in Images
Jing Gu, Yilin Wang, Nanxuan Zhao, Tsu-Jui Fu, Wei Xiong, Qing Liu, Zhifei Zhang, He Zhang, Jianming Zhang, HyunJoon Jung, Xin Eric Wang
[paper] [code] [website]
R2H: Building Multimodal Navigation Helpers that Respond to Help
Yue Fan, Jing Gu, Kaizhi Zheng, Xin Eric Wang
SlugJARVIS: Multimodal Commonsense Knowledge-based Embodied AI for SimBot Challenge
Jing Gu*, Kaizhi Zheng*, Kaiwen Zhou Yue Fan, Xuehai He Jialu Wang Zonglin Di, Xin Eric Wang
Alexa Prize SimBot Challenge Proceedings
JARVIS: A Neuro-Symbolic Commonsense Reasoning Framework for Conversational Embodied Agents
Kaizhi Zheng*, Jing Gu*, Kaiwen Zhou*, Yue Fan*, Jialu Wang*, Zonglin Di, Xuehai He, Xin Eric Wang
SoCal NLP 2022
Winner Model of the Alexa Prize SimBot Public Benchmark Challenge [link]
Memformer: Memory-Augmented Transformer
Qingyang Wu, Zhenzhong Lan, Jing Gu, Zhou Yu
in Proc. of AACL 2022 Findings
Perception Score, a Learned Metric for Open-ended Text Generation Evaluation
Jing Gu, Qingyang Wu, Zhou Yu
in Proc. of AAAI 2021
Data Annealing for Informal Language Understanding Tasks
Jing Gu, Zhou Yu
in Proc. of EMNLP 2020 Findings
ConQuest: Contextual Question Paraphrasing through Answer-Aware Synthetic Question Generation
Mostafa Mirshekari, Jing Gu, Aaron Sisto
EMNLP 2021 WNUT Workshop [paper]
Program Committe Member (Reviewer)
- ACL 2021, Sigdial 2021, EMNLP 2021, NeurIPS 2021, ICLR 2022, ACL Rolling Review 2021&2022, NeurIPS 2022, EMNLP 2022, ACL 2023, ICML 2023, IEEE RA-L 23, EMNLP 2023, NeurIPS 2023
Honors & Awards
- Scholar Award from NeurIPS 2023
- Third place ($50,000) in the inaugural Alexa Prize SimBot Challenge! [Media Coverage]
- Winner of the Alexa Prize SimBot Public Benchmark Challenge, May 2022
- Team Leader of SlugJarvis, one of the ten teams selected for Alexa SimBot challenge, ongoing competition, 2021-2023
- Outstanding Graduates Award of Shanghai, June. 2018
- Excellent Graduation Thesis, June. 2018
- Excellent Student Cadre of Shanghai, Dec. 2017
- Teaching Assitant for Machine Learning, 2021
- Teaching Assitant for Natural Language Processing, 2019
- Teaching Assitant for Machine Dependent Programming, 2020
- Research Scientist in Searchable AI Corp., 2020
One last word